Friday, December 16, 2005

I Survived!

The week is just about over. Everything is winding down. And I'm still sane. (Well, as sane as I can be.) Yes, it's been a busy and stressful week but things have been good. I got to play with my students during our Christmas party (in which they had relay races and the boys had to skip. I laughed so hard I had tears rolling down my cheeks.) I visited my local family to play Santa. I finished up my shopping, made out some bills. I finished rereading my CP's manuscript. Started a little packing. Got some cool food and candles from my students. A few other things too, which were nice and a pleasant surprise. Oh! And I managed to come away with a copy of Suz Brockmann's Breaking Point at my local RWA book exchange. I was thrilled. I got a copy and had it signed during Nationals, but I specifically got that one for my best friend. For myself, I was just going to wait until it came out in paperback. Now I don't have to!

My plane leaves tomorrow morning bright and early. I expect to see snow when I land in Rhode Island, but I don't mind. I just can't wait to get there. I've got 4 books packed and two notebooks. I've got my computer disk with my current manuscript on it in my carry-on and I've left every scrap of teacher paper on the kitchen table. Even though I only visit New England twice a year and can't imagine moving back permanently, there's just something about going back for Christmas to the place I grew up. I still call it home even though I haven't lived there in over 12 1/2 years. Maybe it's being around family. Maybe it's the cold, snowy weather. Maybe it's the memories of growing up.

Wherever you are, I wish you and your family the merriest of holidays and the happiest of new years. May all our dreams come true in 2006. See you when I get back!

No comments: