Sunday, January 01, 2006

Ringing In The New Year!

Happy 2006!! I hope everyone's had a wonderful start to the new year. I've been back a couple of days now from my trip to the frozen Northeast. Only, it wasn't frozen. In fact, they had unseasonably warm weather. So, I never even had to take my gloves, scarf and hat out of my suitcase. Of course, they got a snowstorm last night and into today.

I came home to some news. I passed my exam for adding ESL to my teaching certificate. The editor I'd been submitting to for the last couple of years rejected me...again. What's worse is she didn't ask for anything more. I guess she finally gave up on me. But, I'm not letting it get to me. I plan to start sending agent queries out within the week and I'll continue writing. Just not right now.

Over break I managed to read 7 books. 5 of them were holiday stories. One was the Aerosmith book (which I returned to my brother). Another was A Long Walk Home by Diane Amos, a NEXT story that I absolutely loved.

I was also able to get some typing done on my next manuscript. I now have 140 pages typed. I did a lot of plotting and planning, although my rejection is making me second guess myself and rethink my plotting strategies.

Tomorrow I head back to work. We have report cards to do, but at least I don't have to be in very early. The kids come back Tuesday. I'm so not ready to go back, but to make myself feel better I made reservations today for my spring break!

Well, I've procrastinated long enough. I've got to get back to grading so I can get to figuring out averages. No, as a staff we have not joined the 21st century and converted all our grading to computer.

2 comments:

Elisabeth Naughton said...

ROFL. It amazes me that educators are so far behind th times technology-wise. When I was teaching I was the only one who used computerized grading in my building. And I have no idea how or why the others didn't bother to teach themselves. What a pain.

Congrats on passing your test! I bow to you since I cannot speak another language. Sorry to hear about your editor R. :( But you're right...keep plugging away and keep on submitting. It only takes one yes - as I've been told over and over.

Glad you're back safe and sound!

Lexi said...

Thanks, Elisabeth! But, no bowing needed. I can't speak another language either. Can barely understand French even after the five years I studied it.