Saturday, September 08, 2007

Challenge Is A Challenge

Hi! No, it's not a challenge making my 100 words a day...yet. My difficulty is this. I've been focused on short contemporary stories for almost 2 years now. For the challenge, I'm writing a suspense. Suddenly writing a suspense feels awkward for me. Does that make sense? I'm not saying I can't do it. It just feels clunky and weird. I have to pull out of my brain's hiding place everything I know about making a good suspense, and now I have to add to it all the craft information I've learned since I last wrote a suspense. Very odd feelings to experience, but ones I wouldn't want to give up. I still LOVE reading a good suspense and I FULLY intend to write suspense too. I just need to formulate a writing pattern/ style/ magic that works for me and BOTH short contemporary AND romantic suspense. Anybody have the same issues? Any advice for me?

4 comments:

Heather said...

Hey Lexi girl - you can do it! I know you'll produce something award-winning. :-) I'm looking forward to some kick-ass brainstorming next weekend.

Lexi said...

Aw, thanks for the vote of confidence, Heather. Yes, brainstorming will be fun. I can't wait!

Elisabeth Naughton said...

No advice. My next wip (which I'm diving into today) is a paranormal. New genre for me, but this story came to me fully formed so I can't NOT write it. We'll muddle through the cross-genre stuff together. ;)

Lexi said...

Wow, Elisabeth. You're right. You can't not write it. Good luck! I can't wait to compare notes about the cross-genre work.