Saturday, September 10, 2005

Military Additions

Since I'm writing stories about military men (and maybe women, in the future), I decided to add a section of links on my blog to miscellaneous military "stuff". I'm including some authors who write about military heroes and a few websites that show support for the troops. As I discover more authors and websites, I'll keep adding to the list.

I've been interested in soldiers and their experiences ever since high school. For my junior and senior year, every book I read outside of required school reading had to do with Vietnam soldiers. I've never been very interested in politics, so the political aspects of wars never appealed to me. I was much more interested in hearing the common soldier's perspective and how his life changed. (I think this interest stemmed from my love of The A-Team and just grew from there!) When I was trying to decide what I wanted to be, I thought about becoming a psychologist to help soldiers deal with PTSD. When I was in college, I spent a few Veterans' Days in Washington D.C. at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. (What an awe-inspiring experience!) During my senior year in college, I did an internship with the Vietnam Veterans of America. (Another wonderful experience!)

As far as I'm concerned, whether I agree or disagree with the government's decisions concerning the military isn't relevant. The point is, these are our soldiers, fighting for our country and I believe they deserve our support. I intend to do what I can.

No comments: