Enter Celtic Hearts Romance Writers Chapter contest The Golden Claddagh! Don’t let our chapter name dissuade you, your entry does not have to be Celtic based to enter, unless you enter our Celtic Category. We have six categories, Historical, FF & P, Romantic Suspense, Celtic, Contemporary & Erotic Romance.
Our contest due date is May 15, 2009. Finalists will be notified by July 1, 2009 and winners notified by September 1, 2009.
Eligibility: The competition is open to RWA members and non-members who have not accepted a publishing offer from a non-Subsidy, non-Vanity Publisher (self-published) for any length of fiction in the past five years. Entrant must retain all rights to the entry and not have granted any of them to a publisher or any other party by the contest entry deadline. If your manuscript is accepted for publication during the time of our contest (dates will be specified) you must notify the contest coordinator; your submission(s) will be withdrawn from consideration and your entry fee(s) returned.
- Previously entered manuscripts may be entered again, but no previous winning manuscript shall be re-entered, even if revised.
- You may submit multiple entries so long as you pay an entry fee and submit a completed entry form for each submission.
- You may not enter the same manuscript in more than one category. *Entry fee per entry: $20.00 CHRW member and $25.00 non-member.
Entries are 30 pages maximum with a synopsis no longer than 5 pages, for a total of 35 pages max. All entries are electronic. Entry fee is $20 for CHRW members and $25 for non-members.
Entries should be submitted to Eliza Knight – email@example.com.
CHRW reserves the right to discard all electronic entries and return fees if a minimum number of three (3) entries is not received in any category. Entrants will be contacted before the entries are returned and given the option to place their entry in another category. We may also refuse an entry that does not follow the rules stated here in the guidelines.
Pay by Check:
c/o Ericka Benayad
By Paypal: firstname.lastname@example.org
(You can do this by logging into your Paypal acct. Clicking on “Send Money” Pasting in the below email, and the amount you owe.)
All entries will be read and scored for the first round by two trained judges and one published author. The three entries with the highest total scores in each category will move to the final round. An editor/agent will judge the final round and select a winner from the finalists in each category.
New this year!!! We have a new category: Celtic – Romantic fiction set in any time period and in any location, but MUST have a Celtic theme (Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Cornish, Bretons,
Final Round Judges:
FF&P: Laura Bradford –
Contemporary: Lois Winston - Ashley Grayson Literary Agency
Romantic Suspense: Leis Pederson - Berkley/Jove
Historical: Esi Sogah - Avon/Harper Collins
Celtic: Deb Werksman - Sourcebooks
Erotic: Diana Carlisle – TWRP
Entry Composition: Your entry must have the following:
- A separate cover page which includes the author's real name, address, telephone number(s), e-mail address, submission title, category and manuscript word count should be submitted in text of the e-mail. Do not include the cover page in the same attachment as your manuscript and synopsis. The manuscript and synopsis will be sent together as one document as an attachment.
- The beginning of your manuscript, including prologue, cannot exceed thirty(30)pages. Standard manuscript format must be followed: 1â€ margins, double spaced in a standard font and size that gives 24-26 lines per page. We will not accept entries that have italicized, colored, or designer fonts. DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR NAME ON THE MANUSCRIPT. See ENTRY FORMAT.
- The synopsis must be included with the same file attachment as the manuscript, must be double spaced and is not to exceed five (5) pages. Do not send the synopsis in a separate attachment. Whether the synopsis is at the beginning or the end of your entry, it should start and end as though it were separate from your manuscript. Any entry that contains a single spaced synopsis and/or begins or ends on the same page as the manuscript will be refused and sent back for correction. The synopsis will be scored.
NOTE: Your entry, which includes the synopsis must not exceed thirty- five (35) pages total. ANY MANUSCRIPT, OR SYNOPSIS THAT DOES NOT FOLLOW THE RULES SET DOWN HERE WILL BE REFUSED AND YOUR ENTRY WILL BE RETURNED SO THAT YOU CAN CORRECT IT. However, our deadline still stands; corrected manuscripts will need to be returned by the midnight deadline on May 15, 2009 to be valid.
Entry Format: Standard manuscript and synopsis format, double-spaced, 12-point readable font, twenty-six (26) lines maximum per page, minimum 1" margins all around. Only the TITLE of the manuscript, the category, and any subcategory should be placed on the top left hand side of the entry. The PAGE NUMBER should be on the top right hand side. IF THE NAME OF THE AUTHOR(S) APPEARS ANYWHERE ON THE MANUSCRIPT OR SYNOPSIS, THE ENTRY WILL BE DISQUALIFIED AND THE ENTRY FEE WILL NOT BE RETURNED.
Important: Manuscript and synopsis must be in a .doc or .rtf file.
The SECOND PLACE winner in each category will receive a silver Claddagh pin.
All winners will receive certificates and icons to place on their websites.
For questions please contact the contest chair, Eliza Knight at: email@example.com