Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The Book That NEVER Ends

That says it all, doesn't it? I trashed chapter 17 because it didn't work with these characters and now I have nowhere to go. I'm in the driver's seat without the keys. I just can't end this book. I'm not terribly upset. I'm just completely surprised that I truly have no way to end this. Or should I say I can't see a way to end it. I guess I need a break, but the kicker is I haven't even been working that hard on it. I've spent most of the last couple of weeks watching baseball at night. Oh well, I guess I could also pick up a book to actually READ instead of trying to write my own for a while. But for now, I'm going to concentrate on getting my 2 contest entries ready and mailed and then if I still don't have an ending I'll get typing on the next book in the series, the one I have 200 handritten pages from my summer vacation. It's just so comical that I can't finish this book because until this book I was writing 2 a year. This one is now at 1 year and 5 months. I just keep telling myself that it will end when it's supposed to end. Until then, I guess I'll just go watch some more baseball.

3 comments:

Allison Brennan said...

I so sympathize with you. I've deleted some of my favorite scenes during revisions. Only two weeks ago I cut a fabulous sex scene. It just didn't fit at that part of the book, and I couldn't just cut and paste it in later because there were different dynamics and a different setting . . . sigh. It was a great scene.

Well, I don't ever delete anything. I save them to another file. You never know when you might be able to use the idea . . .

Lexi said...

But Allison, you forgot to tell me the important part! How do get to the ending??? :)

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Ugh. And then the Astros lost. It's been a rough week for you. :(

Reading always helps me jump start the muse, gives me ideas and gets my brain working. Sometimes I can get stuck in my own stuff and need another trigger to get me going.