Monday, November 21, 2005

A Sacrifice For My Craft

Okay. I've been subbing at this place and teaching ESL classes for the last couple of weeks. I would love to work on a regular basis for them next semester. It's volunteer and at night so it wouldn't interfere with my day job. Today I get an e-mail asking if I want to be the regular instructor next semester for the Tuesday class.

Why did I know this would happen?

My local RWA chapter meets on Tuesday nights. I could easily miss the meetings for 4 or 5 months, but it's 4 or 5 months. I thought about it for a little while, but I just can't give up my meetings. Writing is my non-paying second job. This is the attitude I have toward it and I feel if I take the other volunteer position then I'll be taking away from my writing. (Or at least th chance to mingle with other writers and hear some great speakers.)

Now, granted I am very interested in teaching ESL and I've wanted to find an outlet for this part of me for quite some time, but my writing and my push toward publication are still, ultimately, my top priority. I could sit here all night and debate with myself about it. And next semester when I'm stuck subbing again, I might be kicking myself. But as much as that decision pains me (and the writing of the response e-mail), I have to follow my heart and my heart is always with my characters and their stories.

Of course, things could go another way. They may come back and say how about a different class on a different night? Perhaps it's really not as dramatic as I'm making it out to be.

On the writing front, I mailed off my GH entry today! Yay! I am OFFICIALLY and TOTALLY done with UCOD! For now, while I freak out with all the grading I have to do even with a break starting tomorrow afternoon, I'm reading The Other Daughter by Lisa Gardner. Then, on Wednesday I'm renting the 3rd Harry Potter movie. Then Wednesday, Thursday (and Friday maybe) I'm reading Goblet of Fire. And THEN I'm going to see the movie. I figure I'll start working on the next manuscript, RESISTING RYAN, sometime over the break as well. Who knows? Maybe I'll go watch the movie that inspired my latest hero!

3 comments:

TJ Brown said...

So which movie inspired your book? Great name by the way:)
Teri

Lexi said...

Thanks, Teri! I kept going back and forth between Resisting Ryan and Resistance. Resisting Ryan was my original choice when I started forming the ideas for this story earlier this year.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on mailing! Now we can wait together. :)