Sunday, November 06, 2005

Woohoo! Break Out the Cyber Champagne!

I FINISHED!!!! I literally spent all weekend revising, but I'm done. I've sent UNDER COVER OF DARKNESS off to my critique partner for a final read. I'm hoping I fixed everything she alluded to in her last e-mails, and that if she picks up anything new to fix this time around that it only takes a few short minutes. This puppy is in the mail to the editor on Saturday. The weight of finishing this novel is off my shoulders.

When I thought I'd finished back in June, I still had a terrible weight on my shoulders. I knew it wasn't right, wasn't the best it could be. This time, I have no doubts. My story is complete. My characters are content. My debt to my fallen friend (the woman this book is dedicated to) is fulfilled.

I'd been saying to my critique partner that typing "THE END" to this book didn't have the same feel as any other. I felt a lot more subdued. I'm proud of this manuscript and I truly feel it is my best work to date, but I don't have that "shout from the rooftops" feeling. I think part of that is the fact that it took me so long to write it and it took soooo much out of me. Also, I was so sure my last manuscript was going to be "the one" that I think I'm more cautious now. I feel like I've matured a hell of a lot as a writer through this manuscript.

But you know what? In the end, it's still a MAJOR accomplishment and I'm so very excited about this book. Between the GH, the other 2 contests and the editor's request, I hope to be sharing lots of good news with you in the future about this one.

2 comments:

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Way to go...congrats!

Fingers crossed for you that this is THE one!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you!!! Way to go!!