Monday, January 19, 2009

A Funny Thing Happened As I Worked On The Website

I realized Broken Promises is an easy manuscript to walk away from, which isn't a good sign. The story premise is good and I love the characters, but there's been no fire. I mean, last week I started my new writing challenge with my Austin RWA group and I've barely written 1500 words on Broken Promises. It was easy to walk away from it when I decided I HAD to finish the website. When I was putting the finishing touches on that last night, I thought about going back to Broken Promises today. Immediately I got a nugget of golden inspiration from an old hero from my manuscript Resisting Ryan. Again I walked away from Broken Promises, this time to start rereading Ryan's story, which immediately got me giddy and excited and smiling like a fool to anyone who would listen to me today. So I didn't need that frying pan up the side of my head. Broken Promises is a great story I definitely want to share. Just not now. I've got the fire with Ryan and his heroine. I've got a good premise for that and some great scenes to work with. I'm following Caitlin and jumping headfirst into that fire!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sometimes a manuscript is easy to walk away from because there's something not working with it. And it may not be working because something is wrong with the characters or because it's going to require a lot more out of you to finish it.

I know I've walked away from a few projects because I was completely stumped. It helps to just let them stew.

Good luck with whatever captures your muse.

Lexi said...

That's exactly it, Cat. I have no doubt I'll get back to Broken Promises at some point. But right now is Ryan and his heroine's time. I've been working on it today (when I should be doing some school stuff) and I'm having the best time!

Avery Beck said...

Argh, I hate when that happens. And it usually happens to me after I've already written half the book. Sigh...

Love your new site, btw!

Lexi said...

Thanks, Avery!