Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Slicing & Dicing

Took 20 pages out of my manuscript yesterday. Then I put back 12 pages I'd taken out last week.

I'm in a rut. I know what I want to happen, but I just don't know the correct order. You've gotta remember, I can't write from page one. I just write scenes as they happen in my head and then I thread them together. Yes, this is the spot where the threading together is supposed to happen. Yes, I go through this aggravation with EVERY single manuscript, but I cannot write chronologically. It bores me to tears. Once I tried and I ready to pull my hair out by page 20!

So, here's my plan. I've just printed off 24 pages to play with at the kitchen table. I'm going to try and string it together and throw out what doesn't fit. EVEN if I love it. I can use it later or in another manuscript if I still think it's that good. If I attack one section at a time, finishing the book will be easier to do.

Oh, yeah. My romantic suspense mind is stirring up again. I think I need to write another violent scene. For somebody. Man, it's like a sickness! Kinda scary, too.

4 comments:

Bailey Stewart said...

You write a bit like I do - I don't plot, just write what comes to my mind. Good luck with it - sounds like you have a good plan.

Lis said...

You write exactly how I do! *g* I can't write in order to save my life though when it comes to patching everything together, I kinda wish I could. Good luck with putting it together :)

TJ Brown said...

Wow, I couldn't imagine writing like that. I write from beginning to end, though if I do have an idea for a scene, I make notes of it.
Teri

Lexi said...

Bailey- It's nice to hear that I'm not crazy all by myself!

Lis- I know what you mean about wishing you could write in order when trying to patch it together. But then I think, I love the challenge so I wouldn't change my writing style even if I could.

Teri- I've always wondered what the appeal was to writing like that? I would think it makes it easier in some ways, but if I'm not guessing what's happening next, I think that my readers will be bored as well. But hey! More power to you!