Wednesday, November 15, 2006

The Book That Will Not End

I seem to have issues with book endings. Specifically, I take forever writing them. Maybe I take forever to let my characters share. Maybe I just box myself into a corner and I have no idea how to get out. I've got 30 pages left to revise/ rewrite and nothing I do is working. For the last hour I've been staring at the screen, cutting and pasting sections and then moving them back to their original spots. I've added lines and deleted them a few minutes later. Then I think maybe I don't know how to write a contemporary ending since everything else I've written has ended with someone in danger and someone dying. At this point, I'm seriously considering scrapping everything (of those pesky 30 pages) but the ending, which I know is right, and just writing it over. But how do I do that without the influence of the 20 pages I've scrapped?

2 comments:

Kelly Boyce said...

Do you know the VERY ending? If you do, I'd start there and work back to see how you got there.

Lexi said...

Oh, hell, Kelly! I don't even know the ending anymore!!

Why? Why? Why?????