Friday, November 10, 2006

Positive Procrastination Is Still Procrastination

I've been engaging in positive procrastination for days now. While my creativity and revision muses have been MIA, I have still been working on my writing career. I researched another contest and promptly entered it. I created my bio for my first writing related publicity (I'm Tami Dee's Author-in-Waiting for the month of December!) I even worked on reorganizing scenes for the last 100 pages of FP.

However, in the end, I do acknowledge that I am still procrastinating. The Golden Heart deadline is a mere 3 weeks and 3 days. I'm not worried about actually getting my revisions done on time. I think that may be part of the problem. I keep thinking, "Oh, it's not much to do. I just have to sit down and actually do it." THAT is the problem. Butt in chair, hands on keyboard. No, no beer in one hand and eyes on friends' blogs. No Allison Brennan book in one hand and beer in the other. And certainly no beer in one hand and TV remote control in the other. I think that last one would be the worst display of writer procrastination and I do have some standards!

And so, here I go, trudging along on my most favoritest manuscript to date. (Yes, I'm inventing new words. This is another form of procrastination! See? I think this is an addiction.) Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Nita Wick said...

Good luck! I'm not sure what else to say. LOL It would be a fine example of hypocrisy for me to chastise you for procrastination. :)

But maybe it would help to remind you of the totally orgasmic high a writer gets when she types the words "The End" on her newest manuscript. Remember that? And what about the completely satisfying and empowering sense of accomplishment she feels when she finishes the edits on the last one?

By the way, I'm supposed to be writing right now. I just figured I ought to check out the blogs first. LOL I guess I'm borrowing your procrastination techniques.

Lexi said...

Ah, yes. I do remember the feeling of writing "The End" and knowing it was as good as it could be. I'm actually starting to get glimpses of that now that I've been working for 2 hours STRAIGHT on my manuscript!

And Nita, feel free to use any of my procrastination techniques whenever you need them. I'm sure I'll be adding more soon.