Sunday, April 02, 2006

What Was I Thinking???

So each of my classes does a book project every 2 weeks. They have to pick a book, read it and do a project on it showing me that they actually know what the story is about. They made a kite one time, a gameboard, a cereal box, a scrapbook, you get the idea. It takes the place of handwritten or typed book reports but still uses the same information like setting, theme, conflicts, characters, etc.

About a week ago one of my 6th graders said, "Ms. Keach, how come you don't do the projects with us?" My reply? "I already finished 6th grade." But, I told him I would do this project with them. Several of the goof-offs sat up straight and paid attention at that point. So, I promised that I would read a book and do a project on it too and if I didn't finish, then they wouldn't have to do these projects for the rest of the year. I went on to explain that if I picked one of their books, I would finish it in a day, so brilliant person that I am, I promised that I would read Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix. It's 870 pages!!!!!

So, now I have 5 days until this project is due and I stayed up last night until 2 a.m. reading. Yes, I'm enjoying the book, but I'm only on page 300! And yet I still have my ESL class to teach, my 100 words to write each day, and other miscellaneous stuff that we adults have to do.

Okay, enough whining. Must go read....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Umm...you could probably start the project now, even without finishing the book....:) Good luck!

Elisabeth Naughton said...

ROFLMAO!!!

Snuckered by a group of sixth graders.

I feel your pain.

Lexi said...

Michelle, yeah, but I'd feel guilty.

Elisabeth, it's not funny!! :)~

I'm doing okay, though. I've got less that 200 pages left now (on Monday night). I can do it!