Sunday, May 14, 2006

Deep Thoughts

Or not. I just realized I haven't blogged since Sunday last so here I am. (No, procrastination has NOTHING to do with this entry! I swear!)

Here's a recap of my week:
Monday-got an e-mail rejection from the editor who requested 2 chapters. But it was a great rejection. She basically said I was a competent author but the market is tight and she didn't fall in love with the plot like she'd hoped. Then she gave me the link for AAR after reminding me that other agents will feel differently. I showed up for my last adult ESL class for the semester, shared my Hawaii pics with my 2 students, chatted with them and then left an hour early.

Tuesday-my monthly Austin RWA meeting. Got some neat gifts for participating in the 100 days/ 100 words challenge. A gift certificate to Barnes & Noble which I plan to spend on Allison Brennan's first book, Kathleen Givens' next book and Samantha Saxon's 2nd book. Also got a little journal and a travel drive for the computer. It looks neat, but I'm not really sure what to do with it! Still no sign of Brenda Bradshaw at our meetings, but I assured the rest of the group that she really does exist.

Wednesday-Can't remember. Oh yeah. I started grading really crappy research papers. 7 done. Only 40 more to go!

Thursday- Staff appreciation dinner where I had 4 margaritas, told the boss how much progress I've seen since our school started 5 years ago, and chatted with a friend I hardly get to see anymore.

Friday- Got sick. I was trying really hard not to think about being hungover because it was only 4 drinks and I usually don't have a problem with 4 drinks. Got sick again 4 times in the space of 2 hours later that night (which happened to me when I first moved to Austin) and confirmed that I hadn't been hungover.

Saturday- Still felt rotten, but managed to make it to my niece's dance recital. very cute. (She's only 4 1/2) When I got home I thought about grading as I watched the TV shows I'd taped earlier in the week.

Sunday- Here I am. My mom's on a death-defying white water rafting trip with my stepdad, one of my nephews and his friend. In New Hampshire. Happy Mother's Day!
I'm still thinking about grading...

5 comments:

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Hope you're feeling better. It sounds like you've had a busy week. How many days until school's out?

Brenda said...

I do exist! I swear. At least, I'm pretty sure I do.

I was supposed to be at that meeting, and I printed out the directions, and then I could not find that dang place to save my life, so instead of spending another hour wasting gas and driving in a circle, I got me a McD's burger and booked home :(

When are we going back to Far West?? *le pout*

Anonymous said...

Hugs on the sickness, but wow! Busy week. So sorry about the R. Hopefully you'll have better luck with the next mss.

Lexi said...

Elisabeth, 8 days and counting!

Brenda, I believe Far West has been out-voted. Next month if you're coming, let me know and we'll meet up beforehand so I know you'll get there! And we'll have a chance to catch up!

Lexi said...

Michelle, thanks! I'm already feeling better after a few beers for my favorite show's season ender! And the manuscripts are just in limbo right now until I figure out what I'm doing and I finish my grading! But of course, you know nothing about that because you grade everything as soon as it comes in and return it the next day, right? [If you say yes, I will have to hunt you down. You do know that, right?:)~ Don't worry, folks. Only teachers know the hell we go through at the end of the year.]