Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Um, Can We Say Slacker?

Yes, it's true. I, Lexi Connor, have been a slacker tonight.

I had a host of good intentions for the evening, but they all got sidetracked. It started with a day job meeting that ran later than we'd planned. Then I met with a concerned parent about a student who's not pulling his weight. Of course, I had to go get groceries too. By the time I actually got home, it was almost 7! Then of course I had to eat (well after I put the groceries away) and wouldn't you know it, I was out of clean clothes so I had to do laundry. Well, then there were some bills that absolutely had to be made out so I can put them in the mail tomorrow morning. Then I sat down to read for a little while, but I got sucked into watching a soccer game. No, really. It was the US team vs. Mexico. Apparently it's a HUGE rivalry. So I watched to see how many of the players I recognized from the World Cup games. By the time that got over, I finished the dishes, laundry and my cup of tea. Then it was almost 10:15. Naturally, I decided to post to the blog instead of doing any last minute before I go to bed writing.

So, I got absolutely nothing done today on my manuscript. Oh, wait. That's a lie. I THOUGHT a lot about it and how I really have to reorganize the plot to make sure everything works. I THOUGHT about my awesome villain and how excited I am to be working with him. And yet, I wrote nothing.

In the end, I don't really care that I slacked off today. Next week I start another 100 words a day for 100 days challenge with my students AND a month-long challenge with my Austin RWA group. I wrote a few pages last night and I'll have some more time to work on it tomorrow night. In the grand scheme of the life of the book, one night won't make that much difference.

But think about this...who am I trying to convince, you or me?

6 comments:

Tez Miller said...

We had a soccer match in Melbourne last night, too - Australia vs Qatar. We won, 3-0 :-)

Have a lovely day! :-)

Crystal said...

LOL! You're trying to convince US! That's it, you feel very glad you took an evening off to do what had to be done in order to write up a storm today!!! Yep, totally not trying to convince yourself;) Have a wonderful day and hope you get all the writing you want done today;o)

Unknown said...

It's hard to feel creative when your day job sucks all the energy out of you. Sometimes the best thing you can do is get all those distracting household chores done so you can free up and even bigger block of time later. Then you can be twice as productive!!

Lexi said...

Tez, I'm addicted, I tell you!

Crystal, you're so right! I'm so ready to work tonight on the book and I've gotten excited again. Of course, there's still more to tell you about that. I'll post later.

Cat, thatnks for that! I feel like you've given me permission to be a slacker...for one day. So now I'm back on it.

Unknown said...

For heaven's sakes. Do I need to come over and kick your arse? You have been very productive lately and sometimes the story just needs to simmer for a while. Give yourself permission to slack.

You are a good person and doggone it, people like you!

Lexi said...

Aw, thanks, Monika! I needed to hear that today. (The "people like you" part, not the arse-kicking part.)