Thursday, August 07, 2008

One Step Closer

Yay! I finished the 2nd draft of Danger! I still have a buttload of work to do on it, but I still love the story and I'm still excited about making it the best manuscript I've written to date. It's scary how well the writing and revisions have been going. The story flows, the character arcs are showing through, I know EXACTLY what my characters want and what's stopping them from getting it, and the romance is unfolding naturally and easily. These things have NEVER happened so painlessly in any of my other manuscripts. I can feel inside how much better a writer I've become and it makes me so proud! (Especially when non-writing friends say, "You're not published yet?" Seriously, they don't have a clue what goes into writing a fabulous manuscript.)

So now I'm planning to jump right into the 3rd draft. My plan is to have the manuscript ready for CP duty by the first week in September. Then while my CPs (critique partners) are hacking it to pieces, I'm going to revise my synopsis and write my killer query. Then I'm going to start approaching agents. AND I'm also going to play around with the 2 new ideas I have to see which one is stronger and must be told first.

What are you up to?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on finishing the second draft. I don't usually think of my WIP in terms of second and third drafts. Usually for me I write something. Needs fixing so I rewrite parts or all. Then I tweek a few more scenes, mess around with sentences, etc. After the first draft and subsequent rewrite, I never go back over it until maybe the final read through.

What is your process for the second draft and then the third one?

Lexi said...

I tend to write the basic bare bones in the first draft. The second draft is when I start to reorganize & try to make it flow. 3rd, I'll go through and add more detail, get more specific with my word choices. I also make sure my characters' GMC stuff works for them. 4th, I go through it all as if I were submitting. Then it goes to the CPs and then I do a final draft and move onto the next one. The 1st and 2nd are the longest. Revisions I can usually get through in 4-6 weeks. (I think.)

Travis Erwin said...

As always I'm up to no good. That and querying agents.

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Lexi. I'm still recovering from the illness I contracted at RWA, and also catching up on household maintenance. Next week I'll get to the requests and back to writing. I'm too tired to give the requests the proper due right now.

Oh, P.S. remember the cute blonde girl who beguiled us with lemon drops in Dallas? I saw her at the chicklit party. Will begin posting piccies of CL party tomorrow (Friday). Did post a piccie today, but it's not of the party.

Yes, I'm slow.

Lexi said...

Good luck with the queries, Travis.

Avery Beck said...

Still doing laundry after conference...and trying to remember to go to the Austin RWA meeting on Tuesday. It is on the 12th, right?

Lexi said...

Oh, yay, Avery! I forgot you said you'd try to make the August meeting! Yes, we're meeting on the 12th at the Marie Callander's by 183 & Mopac. Technically at 7 but most of us get there early. I'll be on the lookout for you!