Saturday, February 28, 2009

A Day Of Broken Promises

Ah, yes. This day reminded me why I first took up the pen.

My good friend Monika picked me up and we went early this morning to the Austin RWA Critiquing/Write-In Day. Now, I didn't participate in the critiquing part because I'm pretty confident with my critiquing abilities and my AWESOME critique partners. So I, like a few other ladies, sat in the back of the room and worked...all day. I made great progress on Broken Promises after finding I'd written the opening several times. Not several ways, mind you, just several times. I spent the day pulling the stellar bits and pieces out of those several drafts, and the way it was coming together had me so excited for the story.

That said, my goal to have the entry ready for the Daphne may not be realized. I've been working on it most of the night and I'm only on page 9. I don't have a synopsis done, although I know where the story goes. I might, by some miracle, still be able to pull it off if I have my evenings free this week, but I'm not going to push it. To me, it has more work to be done before it's contest ready and I don't know if I'll have the time this week to deal with it before my trip. There will be other contests for Broken Promises and there will be finals. Hopefully too, there will be an editor who falls in love with it as well! But I figure I've got enough stress right now. Why add to it?

But, I've found my muse. Yep, you heard that. Caitlin has returned to me. We'll be working on a new Scottish adventure when my plane leaves Austin Thursday. I'm looking forward to sharing more positive things with you.

3 comments:

Nita Wick said...

I'm glad to hear you're doing better. If I don't get a chance to stop by again before then, have a safe trip. And with Caitlin along for the ride, maybe it will be a productive trip, too. ;)

Unknown said...

Your headline caught me off guard for a moment until I realized the significance. Glad to hear you got lots of work done. It sounds like you're making great forward progress. And I'm glad to hear Caitlin has reappeared (that naughty girl).

Don't put too much pressure on yourself this week.

Lexi said...

Thanks, Nita. I'm hoping Cait and I will have some quality time together, although I imagine I'll be doing quite a bit of crying too.

You're right, Cat. I'm still taking things one day at a time. I'm kinda scared about Thursday because once I leave Austin, I'll have nothing else to keep me from thinking about my grandfather and the loss. But I'm a survivor. I'll manage. I've got some truly stubborn British blood in me!