Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Back To Basics

Still no writing. Lots of reading--of really bad middle school essays.

My CP suggested I NOT send my query out just yet. She says this because I've been asking for critiques of it and although it is good (several people have said so, it's not just me), I still feel like something is missing. My CP agrees.

As I e-mailed my CP back, it occurred to me that my original query was written before the current draft of my book. You know, before it got good. Since finishing the book, I've been trying to fit my newer thoughts into the already written query. Obviously this won't work and I just realized it today.

So I've decided to actually reread FP from the beginning as a reader, remind myself why it's spectacular, and then rewrite the query from scratch. Oh, and I promise to only jot notes in the places along the way that I need to add/delete/fix something. It's been almost 2 months since I've read it all the way through. Maybe I'll fall in love with it all over again! Then that magic could follow my fingers along the keyboard and find its way into my query.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Nita Wick said...

Kristin Nelson (from Nelson Literary Agency) had a great post on Jan 22nd about some queries she received. She explains why some (like mine, woohoo!!!) received requests and some didn't. Check it out on her blog: http://pubrants.blogspot.com/

I got a reject on the first query I sent her about a year ago on the same ms. Obviously, this time my query had the substance she wanted.