Friday, January 19, 2007

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Back to work. Back to writing.

Last night I was tossing and turning in bed with a kazillion thoughts in my head. Maybe my current hero and heroine (for ABR) aren't right for each other. Maybe the conflicts are just too insurmountable. Maybe I don't have what it takes to tell this story. Whatever it was, I just couldn't seem to keep writing. I'd gotten to a point and then stalled. I had my critique group help and my CP gave me some AWESOME ideas. Still, I didn't feel the love.

Until midnight. That's when I found the love of another kind.

I decided that couple needs a little more time to mature as individuals. I need time to prepare myself for the emotional upheaval the heroine will go through. So instead, I decided that I'm very excited for an old flame, the treasure of my heart.

My 2nd manuscript was my 1st attempt at a romantic suspense. It was my 1st story ever set in Scotland and it was when my fictional village came into play. When the manuscript was finished way back in 1999, I had very little idea of what I was doing. Yet to this day I still think about the settings, certain scenes and the heroes. Yes, you read that right. I had 2 heroes in there and only one heroine. (Hey, I already told you I didn't know what I was doing back then!) So, when I got a clue about how to write, I promised my heroes that I would get back to them with a story they deserve when I knew what I was doing.

Fast forward 8 years and the time has come. I bolted out of bed at midnight and started jotting down notes about what I already know. A contemporary storyline popped into my head and wrapped around the excited Scotsman who will now get his happy ending. He should. He deserves it.

As for the other hero of that ill-fated 1st suspense? He'll get his story at some point in the future. I promised him that 8 years ago and I made the same promise last night.

4 comments:

Vonda Sinclair said...

Oooh, don't you love inspiration like that? I love it when an idea blindsides me. Have fun writing this! (I know you will.)

Lexi said...

Thanks, Vonda! I intend to! Of course, if you come back sometime next week I may be cursing....

Elisabeth Naughton said...

I love those aha! moments. I'm glad you're feeling so inspired. I recently shelved a book too - I think it just needs more time before I develop it.

Lexi said...

Oh, but Elisabeth, now I'm playing around with ideas for both!. It's a sickness, I say. I'm not ready to handle writing 2 stories at once, but my characters are very demanding!