Friday, June 13, 2008

Manuscript Tidbits

I'm taking a break from my revisions to share something with you and to ask for your assistance.

First, the info. My heroine's mother was from the Connemara area of Ireland. For her birthday, the heroine receives a replica of a castle in Ireland that actually serves as a hotel. I went fishing for a place and I found Abbyglen Castle. It looks beautiful and fits perfectly into my story! Check it out and let me know what you think. My heroine's dream is to save her money and go on vacation here.

Second, the assistance needed. I need a nickname for my hero. He's from Rhode Island and spent time in the Army. While in the military, his buddy (the heroine's brother) was nicknamed Yank. I need something that fits the hero. He's a carpenter/contractor, a Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins fan. Any ideas? Think about it and post your suggestions to the comment section. If you need more info, let me know and I'll share what I can about him. If I choose your nickname for him, you'll win a prize. Um, don't ask me what the prize is yet, but I promise it'll be cool. I'll pick a winner from any suggestions I get between now and midnight Sunday.

Thanks!

Oh yeah. And Chapter 3 is done!

LATER...In rearranging my scenes, I gutted another 25 pages that no longer make sense based on what I now have in the story. I'm not worried, though. I flipped through several notebooks used for my 2 100/100 challenges and I found some AWESOME scenes to add!

9 comments:

Avery Beck said...

Love the castle, can't help you with the nickname...

And I'll shoot for the August meeting. :-)

Lexi said...

No worries on the name. I've got a default nickname I can use.

Lookin' forward to seeing you in August!

Tez Miller said...

Maybe it's an Australian thing to give people who work in certain professions certain nicknames. Like an electrician would be a sparky, a carpenter would be a chippy. Groups of them would be sparkies and chippies respectively.

Have a lovely day! :-)

Lexi said...

Interesting thought, Tez. Thanks!

Nita Wick said...

I think "chippies" are definitely an Australian or British nickname.

I think it would be cute to call him Hammer. Or maybe Sawdust. :) I guess it would depend on his last name. Hammer Hamlin would be cool. Sawdust Simmons. LOL I like the alliteration. ;)

Lexi said...

Thanks, Nita!

MM said...

Rish, short for Irish.

I'm a teacher by day and a writer every other second.

Lexi said...

That's a cool idea, MM! Thanks.Are you out of school now and writing like a fool, like I am?

Kerry Blaisdell said...

I'd love to help with your nickname, but I'd need to know more about his character -- is he a loner? Sociable? Mad? Happy? Sad?

Going just off his profession -- Sledge? or maybe Smash?