Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Rule of 10

My first chapter for the new suspense is AWESOME! I love it. I'm still fleshing it out to make it even better, but it's almost lived up to the vision of it in my head. But now I've written myself into a box. I don't know where to take it from here. Hhmmm. Not good. BUT I may have a solution. I'm going to write down all the possibilities I can think of, as close to 10 of them as I can come up with. (Or is it supposed to be 20???) Surely SOMETHING will pop out at me. Right? Well, I'll let you know how it goes...

Not but a few minutes later...
I'm sitting here listening to The Bourne Ultimatum soundtrack and my computer screen went black for a few seconds. THEN a huge lightbulb popped into my head and I think I may have found my way out of the box by thinking a bit outside of it!

8 comments:

Crystal said...

Sending positive energy your way girl!!!!

Bailey Stewart said...

Glad you got yourself out of your box, and that you are enjoying your story.

Tez Miller said...

Ah, now I understand why you write shorts - you're a seat-of-the-pants writer.

If I write shorts, I don't plan them. (Unless I'm doing a challenge where I have to put in three things, in which case I decide how I'll include them, and that's all the planning I do.)

Whereas with novels, I need planning, because my brain can't really make stuff up on the spot ;-)

Have a lovely day! :-)

Lexi said...

Thanks, Crystal & Bailey! I'm just going to jot some notes and phrases down tonight and then over tomorrow night and the weekend I'll be able to really get into the heart of the scenes. I can't wait for my date with my hero and heroine!

Lexi said...

Tez, I actually started out with the intention of writing single title. Even my suspenses are fairly long. It's only 2 years ago when I started writing contemporaries that I switched to shorts. As for being a pantser, that's been me since day one. Sometimes I'm pretty sure that's what's gotten in the way of me getting published. With the new suspense, I'm trying to avoid that by plotting the rest of the book out BEFORE I write it.

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo, Lexi!!! :)

Unknown said...

I should have known that anyone who enjoys kickboxing would be a pantser. It's the adrenaline, isn't it? See, I like swimming and long distance running. Or at least I used to when I was actually in shape. Now I prefer sitting on the couch.

Lexi said...

Yep, it's the adrenaline!