Saturday, August 28, 2010

After My First Week Of Work...

I've learned a few things about myself and I thought I'd share.

1. I am definitely STILL a night owl. Even though I now have to get up about 6:30, I still find it hard to go to bed before 1.

2. I miss being in a school atmosphere. I don't miss being in a classroom and leading students through lessons, but I miss the feeling of being in a school community.

3. Four hours of editing/proofreading is exhausting. How do professional editors do this for a full day, every day and year after year?

4. I'm happy to have the chance to get out of the house. I need to do that in order to be successful with my writing. Otherwise it's too easy to say, "I'll do it later" and then get distracted by the TV or internet.

5. As much as I want it to, my suspense will NOT revise itself!

6. I need a job that allows me to interact with people. Although I like the editing work I'm doing, and the other editors and I exchange pleasantries, I need to be able to talk more. I find it very odd to sit in a room with 6 other women and hardly talk at all.

7. I do like the company I'm working for! I like the people too and I feel a loyalty, a connection to the place already. Unlike my last job, I feel very appreciated even though I'm only part-time and "on trial" right now.

8. Without a place to go for 7-9 hours a day, I eat more. I gained 2lbs this week.

1 comment:

Cindy Procter-King said...

I'm a morning person. I'm awake at night, but I don't like it!

Good luck with your new job, Lexi.