Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I'm Back, Baby!

Job- I had been a freelance editor for an E-pub since June, but they had an opening for a part-time junior editor in town. So I asked my contact if I could apply, had the interview last week and I start tomorrow. I also have my first tutoring gig this Thursday, which could turn out to 4 hours a week for a bit. Then, I got a request for an interview through an educational organization that specializes in ESL students. That would also be part-time, but the pay is good and I'm hoping the possibilities for advancement at some point will be endless!

Writing- I whined and complained to my local Austin RWA challenge loop and I pretty much got no sympathy. I didn't expect to, but they helped me refocus. I also decided last night that I'm going to restrict the number of hours I'm on the internet and watching TV. I know those things, along with my day job struggles, have affected my writing. THEN today, I turned the TV off after breakfast, started writing and....WOW! I think I've got my groove back! I'm working on my short contemp to enter into the Mills & Boon contest. I expect I'll have the 1st chapter draft done tonight and I'll send it to my CPs. THEN I can get back to the requested suspense. I'm actually getting excited to get back to it!

8 comments:

Tez Miller said...

In town? You must be in the same state as the ePub. I think I was just assuming your work for them could be done anywhere, from any state.

Lexi said...

Well, yeah, the freelancing could be done from wherever. But they also want people to go into the office and work regular hours and the office is in town.

Kelly Boyce said...

You're on fire with the jobs! Congratulations!!

Gary said...

OK, Lexi! WOOT! WOOT!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the job!! I know what you mean about the internet and TV. I can't write with the television on, I'm too visual, and yet I continue to keep my computer in the living room. That's why I escape to the coffeehouse whenever I can.

Lexi said...

Thanks, Kelly. I'm still looking for something steady with better pay. I have faith the right job for me will come along soon.

Lexi said...

LOL! Thanks, Gary! I'll take all the support I can get. I intend to mail this book out by mid-September and then write the rough drafts of 2 more books by the end of the year!

Lexi said...

RBN, I also have learned over the last ffew weeks that when I'm able to be a full-time writer, I'll have to go somewhere else to work. Staying at home to write all the time will not work for me. I might have to have a permanent seat in a coffee shop...or a bar, depending on the scene and the step in the writing process!