Sunday, April 20, 2008

Revisions

I started my revisions on Danger today and I sooooo wish I could keep going! I've gotten a little bit accomplished, but I have to switch to doing stuff for the day job. You know, the one that pays the bills and keeps a roof over my head. But each day of the work week I expect to get at least a page or two (or more if I can!) revised. Then the weekends I can carve out chunks of time to work on it too. Plus, I've got 3 personal days I can take from work and I intend to take them all and use them for writing!

I happen to love the revision process. I know, this puts me in the minority, but I'm okay with that. I happen to think a story truly takes shape in revisions. I'm the type of writer who does several rounds of revisions. I used to do 3 or 4, with the last being a read-aloud last minute revision.

This time I'm approaching my revisions in a new way. In this 2nd draft, I'm reorganizing my scenes and starting to flesh out the scenes, the characters, the plot. In the next round of revisions, I plan to read through and concentrate on my heroine. Is she doing and saying things she would do and say? Has she grown sufficiently in the story? Then the 4th draft will be concentrating on the hero only. Then the 5th draft will be the "last chance" to pull all the pieces together and make sure it flows nicely.

Okay, gotta go. The day job duties are calling...

7 comments:

Travis Erwin said...

Revising is never as fun as creating but they are a necessary evil.

Lexi said...

See, I told you I'd be in the minority!

TJ Brown said...

you know, sometimes revisions are fun and soemtimes they aren't. I like playing with the book, but soemtimes it's just plain tough.
Teri

Elisabeth Naughton said...

No, you're not in the minority. I much prefer revising over creating. It's like taking a lump of clay and molding it into a beautiful vase.

Good luck on your revisions. I'm about halfway through mine.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

FYI: Tag, you're it. See my blog. :)

Lexi said...

You're right, Teri. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good. But overall I LOVE the revision process best I think. (Check back with me in a few months for that answer...)

Lexi said...

Good luck to you too, Elisabeth!