Wednesday, April 02, 2008

A Simple Question With A Not So Simple Answer

This was a conversation with one of my seventh grade boys yesterday.

Student: "Miss, are you going to sell a book?"
Me: (In my mind- "Well, of course!") "Do you mean soon?"
Student: "Yeah."
Me: "Well, I can't answer that. I'm really trying, doing my part to sell, but it's a lot harder than it seems."
Student: "Oh."
Me: "I know it will happen, but you'll probably be long gone from this school before it does. Why do you ask?"
Student: "So I can buy one."

Once I got over the initial horror of thinking of my students reading my material, I thought, how sweet is that?

9 comments:

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Aw, that's very sweet. My 9 yr old is always asking when she can read my book. My answer? "When you're 30."

Anonymous said...

Awww :)

Lexi said...

Elizabeth, I don't think I managed to drop my jaw to the floor when he asked. He didn't give me any strange looks.

Bonnie, it was an "awwww" moment for sure!

Avery Beck said...

LOL I understand the horror, considering I write (hopefully) Blaze. I have a million relatives asking when they can read my books. I always tell them "after they're published"--then I can blame the editor for all the shocking language. ;-)

Lexi said...

LOL, Avery!

Kerry Blaisdell said...

Hee!! My 9-year-old is constantly looking over my shoulder while I type on my laptop. Worse, my 5-year-old learned to full on read just in the last month or so (including big, complex words, not just the Dick and Jane variety). I used to give her recycled manuscript pages to color on, but considering I write romantic suspense, with adult themes and, er, language, I'm thinking that's not such a good plan! Too bad for all the trees I now have to waste!!

Lexi said...

Yep, Kerry, time for a new plan!

Nita Wick said...

I read this at work the other day and I wanted to comment then, but for some reason, my work computer won't let go to the comment page.:(

Anyway, I think you'll have that book published sooner rather than later. LOL

I'm not sure how to deal with the kids wanting to buy it, though. LOL Maybe you can just autograph a bunch of cover flats for them. :)

Lexi said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Nita. And the cover flats for the kids...oh, how I'd LOVE to have cover flats for ANYBODY right now!!!